httpd-users mailing list archives

From Derek Conniffe <de...@rivertower.ie>
Subject Re: Re : Re: 2 httpds on 1 server
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:47:03 GMT
On Tuesday 11 December 2001 10:05, you wrote:

> > hi Owen,
>
> of course apache itself can't direct the request to a specific port - but
> using a firewall is a good idea!!!!

Apache can either redirect or proxy to individual ports - proxying will do
this perfectly although sometimes you have to do a few funny things with the
hosts file to allow name based virtual hosting with redirecting to work
within the one box - but it works and it works well (except that log files
get a bit messed around).

A firewall will also do the job fine but, perhaps, its a bit of an overkill.

> but what about virtual-hosts (so one httpd would be enough!!!):
> in the normal way you have many webs on one host (many names - one IP).
> all requests go to the same ip - but apache can distinguish between them,
> by looking at the "host"-header.

> you mean it is possible to do it the other way??? (would be great)
> but how can apache distinguish between the requests?
Check out the apache faq or the httpd.conf.default - it goes through the
Listen and NameVirtualHost directives.

Derek

> one request goes to "webserver" and IP 10.0.0.1 and the other one goes to
> "webserver" and IP 10.0.0.2 - IMO it would work, if the requests do not go
> to "webserver", but to the IP itself (using http://10.0.0.2 instead of
> http://webserver)

> if I could do it with virtual hosts - it would be great!!!!
>
> thanks
> michael
>

> >Michael Reutter wrote:
> >

> >> hi,
> >>
> >> for testing a scenario:
> >> my webserver (a single machine) has ONE name ("webserver"), but TWO IPs
> >> (10.0.0.1/2 - the DNS returns them rotational).
 (in the future I should
> >> have two or three machines ...)
> >>
> >> is it possible to let one apache run on port 8080 and the second on port
> >> 8090.
 when a request goes to "10.0.0.1" it goes to port 8080