httpd-users mailing list archives

From Derek Conniffe <de...@rivertower.ie>
Subject Where is my Lock File?
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:07:03 GMT
Hi All,

I've got a strange problem that has been haunting me over a few months ago
now on a Solaris 2.8 dual-processor (Intel) box.

I'm running Apache 1.3.22 (the latest I think).

After some time running, Apache's children will stop working (answering
queries) and Apache will not spawn any additional child servers - it means
that either web clients will appear to get a slow connection or no connection
at all.  I then have to run "apachectl stop" a number of times until it tells
me that there is on pid file and the server is stopped.

I'm running lots of shared modules (including ssl & mod_jk) but even when I
cut down the apache build I still have the same problems.  I can make the
problem happen quickly if I ask Apache only to start a couple of children at
the beginning.

Actually my server is running well (or so it appears) for the last couple of
days.  I edited the "ap_config.h" file in the include directory and made the
following change:

++ /*
#define HAVE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
#define HAVE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
#define HAVE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
#if !defined(USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT) && \
    !defined(USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT)
#define USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
#endif
++ */
#define NEED_UNION_SEMUN
++ #define HAVE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT

As you can see I'm tring to use "FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT" rather than posix
threads (which, I think, dont work on solaris) or SYSV shared memory.

What I dont understand is - if I altered the above - should I not have a lock
file present (as specified in the httpd.conf file)?

Thanks,

Derek