httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tom Rau" <...@blazestudios.com>
Subject Re: .htaccess syntax
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:51:55 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy" <jean-gabriel@duquesnoy.de>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Cc: <joshua@slive.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 11:51 AM
Subject: RE: .htaccess syntax

> Thanks a lot for the hint, it answered my question. However, I have
> configured
> everything. But when I try to access the protected directory, instead of
> getting
> the pop-up box for entering my credentials, I just get a
message:"Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /directory/ on this server.".
> What am I missing, I exactly followed the tutorial.
> My .htaccess file looks like:
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Technical Sales"
> AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd/password
> Require valid-user

Have you checked the actaul permissions of the directory you're trying to
get into? If the directory isn't 755 atleast you'll get that error even if
your .htaccess file is working. But it looks to be set up correctly.  I
usaully have mine look like this:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Realm Name"
AuthUserFile /path/to/password
AuthGroupFile /path/to/groupfile or /dev/null

<Limit GET>
Require valid-user
</Limit>