httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hasanuddin Tamir <has...@trabas.com>
Subject Re: Apache/Apache-SSL clarification
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:15:28 GMT
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Lamar Seifuddin <lamarts@flash.net> wrote,

> Hello all,
>
> I currently have Apache-1.3.22 on my Linux (RH7.1) system.
> I have some basic web stuff, including mod_auth which I just
> figured out how to use to authenticate users/passwords, etc.
>
> However, the password is not encrypted when sent over the net.
>
> Hence, Apache-SSL came to mind.  I want to install, but before
> I do.............I have a question.
>
> Question:
>
> 1.  Does Apache-SSL "lay over" the regular Apache with some SSL
> 	type patches  or
>     will I have "two" Apache(s)

No need for the second Apache.  It's just like putting a security
gate in front of your house.  So you have 2 entries for visitors.
The next thing is to change the policy (httpd.conf) that for some
destinations in your house people must get through the gate.

If you don't need the security gate anymore for some reason, simply
take it away, modify the policy, and you get your original Apache
back.  Just like something never happened.

san
--
Trabas - http://www.trabas.com