httpd-users mailing list archives

From Saqib.N....@seagate.com
Subject Re: Password Directory
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 05:15:47 GMT

Hi Stefanus,
There are couple of ways you can do this. YOu can actually write a PHP
script and control access of each directory using .htaccess

I more sophisticated way of doing is using mod_rewrite and couple of of
directory containers in httpd.conf - This is only possible if you have
administrative access to HTTP deamon.

Here is how I would do it.

I would make the following entries in httpd.conf

<Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs/users>
RewriteEngine        on
RewriteCond          #add some condition here#
RewriteRule          .*         https://davtest1.seagate.com/users/%{REMOTE_USE}

order allow,deny
allow from all

# Below define your favorite mechanism for authentication (e.g. LDAP, NIS, MySQL, or htpasswd
files etc.....)
#AuthName Users
#AuthType Basic
#<Limit GET PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
#        Require valid-user
#  </Limit>
</Directory>

Now define user authentication requirements for each user directory.
<Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs/users/user01>
# User 01
Require user 224706
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs/users/user02>
# User 02
Require user 224706
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs/users/user03>
# User 03
Require user 224706
</Directory>

Then create directory for each user under {users} directory.

Now when a users visit the following url

http://www.yoursite.dom/users

He will be prompted for htaccess style authenticaton. Based on the userid, mod_rewrite will
re-direct the client to appropriate directory.

e.g. if user03 logs in, mod_rewrite will automatically re-direct him to http://www.yoursite.dom/users/user03

Now this can be all done using .htacess file as well.

if you have run into any problems, let us know.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
http://www.stonebeat.org  <------ WebDAV discussion forum

"Stefanus Eko Yulianto" <eko@ntt.net.id> on 11/28/2001 07:52:58 PM