httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Matthew Hook" <mh...@clear.net.nz>
Subject Drop port and hide multiple servers behind one fixed address?
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 04:38:11 GMT
Hi,

I'm wondering whether it the following setup might
be possible using apache.

Currently we have 3 web servers running that for
various reasons cannot be consolidated into one box.

At the moment all but one of the web servers resides
in my DMZ.  The other is on the public IP.  If all
machines were behind the one IP then there is only
one port 80.  I can use port redirection to redirect
e.g. port 80 to server 1.  port 8001 to server 2, port 8003 to server 3.  Thats
cool, but not neat because you have to put the port number in the URL.

The firewall is OpenBSD with the IPFilter package.
I'm wondering whether it's possible to remove the
port number from URL and still redirect to the correct server using the header
redirection.

i.e.
http://www.domain:80 = http://www.domain
http://other.domain:8001 = http://other.domain
http://www.domain2:8002 = http://www.domain2

You'll note that the domains in my setup also
differ.

Is this at all possible?

I can immagine the first server would do some
kind of redirect behind the scenes to reach the
other servers transparently.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Matt