httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Apache-Test
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:34:28 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>may be we should stop trying to parse the leading string and just gor
>>for "/x.y.zz" part. Otherwise we will never satisfy everybody.
>

> I think the last time this came up we decided that we just couldn't satsify
> everyone and we left it as is.
>
> my personal pov is that Apache-Test is for the Apache webserver as it ships
> from httpd.apache.org - if third parties want to mess with the official
> server designation they can, this being open source and all, but then they
> shouldn't expect software that adheres to the conventions within httpd to
> run without similar modifications.
>
> that is, if you patch httpd to create a custom server name you can patch
> Apache-Test to work with the custom name if you want it to work with your
> distribution.  it shouldn't be the development team's issue.

In which case we need to remove the custom patterns we have added so far?

+1, but the last time we added a new pattern when somebody brought an
argument, that users weren't able to run A-T because of this failure and
waiting for the vendor to fix this was not an option. Moreover if users
download A-T from CPAN and not a binary package from the vendor, they will
have this problem and they will come to complain here.

So may be my suggestion of just matching the "/x.y.zz" part is worth a try?