httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From "Guy Ferraiolo" <guy.ferrai...@cnet.com>
Subject RE: couple of questions on "flood" tool.
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:00:40 GMT
Jacek, and others

With regard to 'parameterizing' URLs: I have working code to do this.
As far as I'm concerned, this is an essential functionality for serious
performance testing.  I'm planning on submitting it (for your approval)
in the very near future.

Thanks,

Guy

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacek Prucia [mailto:jacek.prucia@acn.waw.pl]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 6:43 PM
To: test-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: couple of questions on "flood" tool.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:20:37 -0800
venugopal Narayanabhatla <vnugopal@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I have downloaded and compiled the code and get the examples working,
> but does not work when I am trying to customize to  my environment,
>
> I want to use it loadtest our relayserver which accepts POST requests
of
> different file sizes , and then also accetps GET requests to get those

> POSTed files.
>
> 1. This is my original request(from the capture using a proxy), I am
> trying to use
> PRIMARY POST URI
> "http://test-cs1.msg.sc5.yahoo.com:7002/qa.cgi?token="+MY_TOKEN+ &
>         "&sender=testuser&recver=tuser HTTP/1.0" ON 1            &
>         HEADER DEFAULT_HEADERS            &
>           ,BODY

"qa=stestigtesdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfdsfsdfdsfd"

> So I  included this in my test,.xml file in flood
>
>  <url method="POST"

payload="qa=stestigtesdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfdsf
sdf
> dsfd">http://test-cs1.msg.sc5.yahoo.com:7002/qa.cgi?token=wce3BB6
> obAef_UVR9yalMQu8RMgDqvhGc-&amp;sender=testuser&amp;recver=tuser
> HTTP/1.0</url>
>
> It does not work.

First thing, that look's odd: why is 'HTTP/1.0' part of an URL? You
schould
remove this, as it will be added by flood when creating request.

> A. Is payload the right parameter to specifiy the body of the POST
> request.

yes.

> Is there a way to include different sizes of files in the request.

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly, but payload is really a
static
element. You have to prepare it first, and then when creating request,
flood
will calculate Content-Length header. So you need a separate URL for
every
different file.

> B. Is there a way to parameterise different parts of  a url from a
file
> and run the tests.

Unfortunatelly, no. I was recently bitten by the same problem. I was
forced to
use "another ASF testing package", which somehow handled the task,
reading
data from file in sequential order. During that test I figured out, that
this
method is also not enough, and I'm working on a 'data sources' concept
for
flood.

> I appologise for spamming the whole list. but I need some help here.

This is not a spam, but a bunch of legitimate questions. Please don't
hesitate
to ask them here, as this is the right place to do so.

Be sure to check flood documentation. It's mostly up-to-date. Check docs
subdirectory or (if you don't want to build it yourself) following URL:

http://cvs.apache.org/~jacekp/manual/

regards,
Jacek Prucia