httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestMM.pm
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:06:48 GMT
At 11:23 AM 11/4/2004, Geoffrey Young wrote:

>> If I had to guess, this borks anything but gmake.  Test for that.
>
>I had asked on #asf about this and somebody (I forget who) said that the
>make manpage on minortaur (some bsd variant) supports ?= as well.  from
>looking at that it seems to be the manpage for pmake, which I guess is some
>other make variant. so limiting it to gmake at least would seem to wipe out
>bsd folks.

Ok, looks good for pmake, yes... however...

>a little digging on my own at the time made it seem like solaris make is
>really gmake

Well, the way you have it installed perhaps.  But attempting this
against /usr/ccs/bin/make it most definately blows up.

>, so between linux, solaris, and bsd a decent case was being
>made that most unix make variants to support the syntax.  of course,
>that list of 3 was hardly exhaustive :)

Hardly.  The man page for hpux 11 make makes no mention of ?=
nor does AIX 5.1.  you are 2 for 5.

Explicitly fails on native make(s) on AIX 5.1, HPUX 11, Solaris 2.6.
Please find another solution.

Bill

p.s. simple test I used...

TERM ?= uberterm