httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestMM.pm
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:41:03 GMT

>>a little digging on my own at the time made it seem like solaris make is
>>really gmake
>

> Well, the way you have it installed perhaps.  But attempting this
> against /usr/ccs/bin/make it most definately blows up.

ok.  I actually don't have a solaris box to try on - I just went to sun's
support site and saw that the manpage for make was gmake (at least the one
that google first pointed me toward :)

>>, so between linux, solaris, and bsd a decent case was being
>>made that most unix make variants to support the syntax.  of course,
>>that list of 3 was hardly exhaustive :)
>

> Hardly.  The man page for hpux 11 make makes no mention of ?=
> nor does AIX 5.1.  you are 2 for 5.

yeah, not good.

> Explicitly fails on native make(s) on AIX 5.1, HPUX 11, Solaris 2.6.
> Please find another solution.

well, the solution at the moment is to not have a solution - cvs has been
reverted, so unless a real solution can be found it will remain a minor nit.

> p.s. simple test I used...
>
> TERM ?= uberterm
> all:
>         echo $(TERM)

the gmake manual suggests that ?= is equivalent to

ifeq ($(origin TEST_VERBOSE), undefined)
  TEST_VERBOSE = 0
endif

so that might make for a good test - the gmake manual didn't speficially say
that origin was explicit to it, but then again it didn't mention ?= either :)

--Geoff