httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Prucia <jacek.pru...@acn.waw.pl>
Subject Re: some added functionality for flood
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:11:54 GMT
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:41:01 -0500
"Guy Ferraiolo" <guy.ferraiolo@cnet.com> wrote:

> Folks
>
> I've developed some additional functionality for flood: random text
> substitution in the URL.
> I think this is a very useful addition and I'd like to have it become
> part of flood.

Great. Flood was missing such a feature. A friend of mine recently picked up
another testing package just because of this.

> The way it works is that your URL contains a string like '${subst_var}'.
> On each generation of a URL, that entire string is replaced by a line
> randomly chosen from the so-called substitution file.  The substitution
> file is paired with the substition variable (in this case subst_var) vis
> a subst_list xml construct in the flood config file.  An arbitrary
> number of variable - file pairings can be defined in the config file.
>
> You need 3 things to get this to work:
>
> 1.	You must use a 'requesttemplate' to hold your URL
> 2.	You must supply a 'subst_list' xml construct in your flood
> config file.
> 3.	You must supply a 'substitution file' containing the lines that
> will be randomly substituted.
>
> I have code and a sample configuration file that implements this.
>
> How can I submit this?

Please create an unified diff, like so:

diff -urN flood-original/ flood-modified/ > substitution.patch

...and submit resulting file (attaching it as text/plain) to this list. You
schould also post that sample configuration. I would like to see it and since
flood manual is lagging a bit behind source tree (mea culpa), it would also
serve as documentation for that particular feature.

regards,
--
Jacek Prucia