httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: shell_ready function
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:36:33 GMT

Joe Orton wrote:
> Does the quote escaping really work in this function?

hmm, it doesn't look like it does.  I think this was part of some work that
stas and ken were doing, though, and IIRC it was some win32 command line
thing.  but I could be wrong.

> It confuses emacs
> font-lock mode which doesn't see a closing quote so thinks the rest of
> the file is part of the string.  This fixes at least the latter:

> -    $arg =~ s/"/\"/g;
> +    $arg =~ s/"/\\"/g;

that looks better, but I'm not sure it's right either - if the input is
already escaped then you've (both) over-quoted (if the first worked at all,
that is :)  so, you look to be fine here if pre-quoted input is forbidden or
not expected, but not so if it's already quoted, in which case something
like this is better:

the attached script runs through a few different regex and input
combinations for visual inspection.  hopefully that will help sort this
issue out a bit (or the original author will clear things up ;)

--Geoff