httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: forcing full config in Makefile.PL (was Re: failing httpd-test tests)
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:40:31 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>As a result of my changes, now the API has two wrappers
>>Apache::Test::config (full config as before), and
>>Apache::Test::basic_config, which is the same sans httpd information.
>>For example to autogenerate t/TEST and other files you don't need to
>>know anything about httpd, and therefore you shouldn't require users to
>>supply that info before it's really needed.
>

> one of the things I've tried to do but was never able to get working was
> call have_apache within Makefile.PL.  being able to do this would be a nice
> way to add a PREREQ_PM-type precondition for building modules that rely on,
> say, httpd 2.1.
>
> as a user it doesn't quite make sense why this wouldn't work - Makefile.PL
> is getting passed -apxs or -httpd, so you would think that after the call to
> filter_args the httpd version would be known.
>
> being able to support something like this, whether automatically or on
> command would be really great.  that is, forcing a full configuration before
> calling WriteMakefile so that all the standard Apache::Test functions are
> available.

Sure, just call Apache::Test::config and voila you have the full config
in Makefile.PL. Don't forget that at the moment 99.9% of users will not
have that provision of httpd/apxs during Makefile.PL, so you will want
to check whether it's provided (and that's not bogus). Otherwise asking
for a full config with no httpd/apxs provision will trigger interactive
config at the Makefile.PL level, which doesn't sound good at all for the
general case.