httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestRequest.pm
Date Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:46:13 GMT
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2004, at 1:14 AM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> so, have_foo is intuitive to be used anywhere in the code, and plan
>> now will look like:
>>
>> plan tests => 5, need_lwp, need_cgi, need_php;
>

> I like this, but isn't it putting the onus of change on module owners
> and introducing the likelihood of unexpected test failures when module
> owners don't realize that they need to change their C<use> lines from
> have_* to need_*?
>
> Perhaps we leave have_* with its current semantics, but then add "got_*"
> for the new semantics to be used anywhere in the code:
>
>   # Always allow redirection.
>   my $redir = got_lwp ? [qw(GET HEAD POST)] : 1;
>   Apache::TestRequest::user_agent(reset => 1,
>                                     requests_redirectable => $redir);

to me, got and have are exactly the same thing. How are you going to
remember which one to use when?

Authors of the existing tests don't have to change anything, have_foo
will work just the same, but won't add the skip reason anymore. This
won't make affect the existing tests in any way, rather than not
printing the reason for a tests being skipped.

But, yes, the transition could be made 100% perfect, by keeping have_ as
it is, and adding a new interface which doesn't add the skip reason. But
we need to find an unambiguous name for it. skip_foo will be good, but
we have a general function have(), which can't be replaced with skip().
So may be want_foo() is a better choice. Or may be you have a better
name...