httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Apache-Test module skeletons
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:17:13 GMT
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Randy Kobes wrote:
>
>> But won't the CPAN indices (which are used by both CPAN.pm
>> and CPANPLUS.pm) still just recognize one version of
>> mod_perl.pm? Either the current one associated with mp1, or,
>> when mp2 is out of development, that associated with mp2
>> (assuming mod_perl.pm of mp2 has a higher version compared
>> to that of mp1). Or will CPANPLUS go beyond the CPAN
>> indices?
>

> That I don't know. I would ask the CPANPLUS developers.
>
>   http://cpanplus.sourceforge.net/

It won't. Since PAUSE index doesn't contain anything, but the latest
version. So the syntax sugar of M::B is not quite helpful to satisfy the
dependencies at the moment.

>> One (qualitatively similar) example is the GD module, for
>> which there's two major (incompatible) versions, 1 and 2.
>> Currently CPAN.pm reports GD as being version 2.12, and so
>> to install an earlier version 1.x, you have to tell CPAN.pm
>> explicitly which distribution you want to install.
>

> Right, the indexing is still a problem. However, for those who have the
> proper mp installed already, it should just work. And for those who
> don't, installation should fail, but they'll be told why.
>
> But I agree that the indexing issue is important. Perhaps there should
> be a META.yml rule to tell CPAN what to index, so as to keep track of
> older versions of modules for those that really need to?

There is no such support yet. Even though it was discussed long, long,
long time ago.

> I dunno. Something to ask Jarkko about.

That would probably be Andreas and Autrijus.