httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Apache::TestMB
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:05:26 GMT
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2004, at 10:33 AM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Absolutely. It's really just:
>>
>> MyTest->new->run(@ARGV);
>>
>> where MyTest is a subclass of Apache::TestRunPerl
>

> I tried that, but it didn't work. I'm not sure why. The first problem
> was this code:
>
>     $0 = File::Spec->rel2abs($0);
>     if (-e $0) {
>         my $top = dirname dirname $0;
>         chdir $top if $top and -d $top;
>     }
>
> Which moved things out of the module root, since Build.PL isn't in t/. I
> got 'round that by doing C<local $0 = ''>, but then nothing else
> happened. Odd.

ah, yes, it tries to figure out where it is and move out of t/, as per your
request earlier. Feel free to suggest a way to work it out. That particular
code could be made into a subclassable method, which your subclass could
implement differently.

>> Though you will need to figure out how to pass the options, which is
>> already not trivial at all, since there are quite a few ways to feed
>> them in at different phases.
>

> Yes, that's the other thing I wanted to avoid.

How are you going to avoid that? I mean your users need to be able to run
certain features of Apache-Test, which are beyond 'make test'. May be you want
to always create t/TEST, but run 'make test' without invoking t/TEST?

>>> * I wasn't sure how the TEST_FILES environment variable was supposed
>>> to work. So I'm just passing it to the call to t/TEST if it exists.
>>> Stas, is this the correct thing to do?
>>

>> I think yes, but why not keep it an env var?
>

> It is an environment variable. If, however, you mean that t/TEST spots
> the environment variable and does the right thing, then cool, I'll
> simply take out out of TestMB.

Creo que si, i.e. yes :)

>> I believe it's autogenerated, I didn't write that code, so you can
>> look just as well :) You can use libapreq-2's source from CPAN to see
>> how c-modules work.
>

> Pass. I don't really do C. I put in some stubs for it, though.

there is no C, there is perl that creates the necessary build environment.

>> I've skimmed the source, it looks good David, but please use
>> indentation of 4 everywhere.
>

> I did; only lines that continue from a previous line use two spaces. If
> you want four there (confusing, IMO), I can change it.

Yes please, we use 4 everywhere.

>> Also how the following code is supposed to work?
>>
>>     my $infile = '$script.PL';
>>     if (-f $infile) {
>

> It will use t/TEST.PL to generate t/TEST if t/TEST.PL exists. Otherwise,
> it generates t/TEST like TestConfig::generate_script(). does.

I meant the fact that '$script.PL' doesn't interpolate $script.

>> Also you can use shortcuts from Apache::TestTrace to do logging.
>

> Um, I have no idea what you're talking about here. Sorry.

use Apache::TestTrace;

debug "foo";

error "bar";

etc...

The tracelevel will automatically enable and disable various trace levels. See
Apache::TestTrace for more info.