httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: APACHE_TEST_NO_STICKY_PREFERENCES problems
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 00:20:59 GMT

>> so you're arguing that we should write out the sticky files, even if the
>> user doesn't ever want them interfering?
>

> I'm not arguing at all. It's just when
> APACHE_TEST_NO_STICKY_PREFERENCES=1 and no arguments passed, the logic
> is broken. The program gets into a loop it can't break out of.

an endless loop?  hmm, I hadn't seen that.  _something_ definitely needs to
be fixed, then.

> I've
> suggested a fix, if you don't like it, please suggest a different one.

ok

> For example do not run interactive config if
> APACHE_TEST_NO_STICKY_PREFERENCES=1. But it's a pity, since we could
> suggest users this technique to override older saved config (in addition
> to -save).

well, I think I'd like to see some more intelligence with the sticky
preferences option.  for instance, I'd like to see a -remove option that
removed all hints of sticky preferences, to avoid exactly the error-prone
manual removal you mentioned in your last message.

and you have a valid point - is there any way to override existing sticky
preferences?  IIRC that was my main problem with all of this, that the
sticky preferences were too sticky for my needs.  rather than abolish them
altogether, it would be nice to have an -interactive option to force
interactive configuration again (which would not be saved unless -save was
specified).

speaking of -save, I can't recall if that is the default, but if it is I
wonder if it should be.  it might not be easier on end users to save the
first time, but it might help them in the long run if things were not saved
until explicitly  given -save.  what if the first time they run A-T it's
against a development apache version?  it's not exactly intuitive how to
un-stick yourself, so being sticky by default (rather than on demand) might
end up causing trouble down the line.

just some ideas.

--Geoff