httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: APACHE_TEST_NO_STICKY_PREFERENCES problems
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 23:13:27 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Geoff, why did you make APACHE_TEST_NO_STICKY_PREFERENCES prevent from
>>saving autoconfig?
>

> however it's done, I want an option wereby absolutely nothing sticky is ever
> generated or used.  the "don't touch my system" option was my goal, which
> really isn't unreasonable.
>

>>Granted, instead of using APACHE_TEST_NO_STICKY_PREFERENCES one could go
>>and delete the custom config files, but one needs to find them first and
>>it's error prone for testing. I'd like to see
>>APACHE_TEST_NO_STICKY_PREFERENCES do its job w/o getting on the way of
>>things that we need to test.
>

> so you're arguing that we should write out the sticky files, even if the
> user doesn't ever want them interfering?

I'm not arguing at all. It's just when APACHE_TEST_NO_STICKY_PREFERENCES=1 and
no arguments passed, the logic is broken. The program gets into a loop it
can't break out of. I've suggested a fix, if you don't like it, please suggest
a different one. For example do not run interactive config if
APACHE_TEST_NO_STICKY_PREFERENCES=1. But it's a pity, since we could suggest
users this technique to override older saved config (in addition to -save).
May be we need a more granular approach and have two variables, one for
NO_READ and another NO_WRITE, e.g.:

APACHE_TEST_CUSTOM_CONFIG=0 # read/write (00)
APACHE_TEST_CUSTOM_CONFIG=1 # no read    (01)
APACHE_TEST_CUSTOM_CONFIG=2 # no write   (10)
APACHE_TEST_CUSTOM_CONFIG=3 # no read and no write (01 | 10)

or anything else you'd like, preferrably with less typing then the current
variable. if you prefer words, may be:

APACHE_TEST_CUSTOM_CONFIG=0
APACHE_TEST_CUSTOM_CONFIG=NO_READ
APACHE_TEST_CUSTOM_CONFIG=NO_WRITE
APACHE_TEST_CUSTOM_CONFIG=NO_RDWR

In case of 'no_write' (interactive config should disabled to fix the logic).