httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: testing apache 1.3 on windows
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:47:37 GMT
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Randy Kobes wrote:
> >
> > I couldn't find the _random or _srandom symbols in a
> > system library, but changing these to rand() and srand()
> > in mod_random_chunk.c seems to work OK.
>
> mm.  i've ifdef'd those for WIN32 and will commit it; if anyone
> cares to verify that s/rand() are universally suitable replacements
> for s/random(), the ifdef can go.
>
> thanks, randy!

I found this in the rand man page on Linux:

The versions of rand() and srand() in the Linux C Library
use the same random number generator as random() and
srandom(), so the lower-order bits should be as random as
the higher-order bits. However, on older rand()
implementations, the lower-order bits are much less random
than the higher-order bits.

So it looks like they're not equivalent on older
implementations.

--
best regards,
randy