httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] Better IPv6 detection and configuration
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 03:40:59 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 15:25 -0500, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>>>Something like this will most likely work for everyone (ipv4/v6) with
>>>the only difference is that the test servers are not listening to
>>>localhost anymore and could be reached from oustide machines (do we
>>>care?)

What happens in the following situation:

One machine, two NICs, two IPs 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2.

If I say 'Listen *:8529' it'll try to listen on both IPs.

What happens if 10.0.0.2:8529 is already taken and 10.0.0.1:8529 is available?
Will it fail to start, saying that the port is busy?

>>I actually find that a nice feature, as it means you can use t/TEST -start
>>to start up your test config then, say, hit it from a browser on a different
>>box.  as it is now, you have to hand-edit the generated httpd.conf for that
>>(or at least I did)
>

> Well, I agree with you, but other people might argue that it is somewhat
> of a security risk to start up a server and _not_ listen strictly on
> localhost.
>
> But, yes, I do think that Joe's suggestion is the best one and will keep
> tests passing until LWP becomes IPv6 aware.

Untill we have a better solution (proper detection mechanism), by all means go
with it, Philippe.

Thanks for the idea, Joe!