httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] Better IPv6 detection and configuration
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:40:06 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 17:13 -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

>>>Yeah, guess the message is a bit too terse.

>>>How about:
>>>
>>>"
>>>Your system is configured to run both ipv6 and ipv4, but can't figure
>>>out if the hostname 'name' is ipv4 only. If the test suite doesn't
>>>start, try specifying a servername that you know is only ipv4, or
>>
>>what action user is supposed to undertake when you say that? it should be
>>really clear, or we will end up with a question onto the list.
>

> Well, what I am trying to say is that if the user goes

I understand what you are trying to say to me, but the user most likely won't.
result: question to the list and we achieved nada.

> perl Makefile.PL -servername my.name.com
>  or
> perl Makefile.PL -servername 127.0.0.1
>
> His/Her problem will also go away.

and that's exactly what the error message should say. but how the user will
know which name to use?

> installing Socket6 will not solve the problem, but just allow me to
> detect if a problem is certain to happen.

that's why I suggest to require Socket6, figure exactly what's going on and
what user should do in case of ambiguety and based on the information that is
accessible (.e.g resolve localhost and use the ip address, etc) the error
message should explain what to do next.

> In any case, at that point, the user will need to specify an ipv4
> hostname/address.

most users don't know what is ipv4 hostname/address.