httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [A-T patch] give a hint how to raise the timeout
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 01:09:47 GMT
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2004, at 4:15 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> The patch below attempts to give users an idea to try before they rush
>> to report a bug. For example:
>>
>> waiting 120 seconds for server to start: not ok
>> giving up after 121 secs. If you think that your system
>> is slow or overloaded try again with a longer timeout value.
>> For example:
>>   % APACHE_TEST_STARTUP_TIMEOUT=420 make test
>> or:
>>   % /home/stas/apache.org/mp2-cvs/Apache-Test/t/TEST -startup_timeout=420
>>
>> server failed to start! (please examine t/logs/error_log)
>

> Well, to be compliant with the output that Test::Harness expects, you
> should precede each line that's intended for the user rather than for
> Test Harness with "# ".

Not in this case. T-H wasn't called yet. It gets called only after server
successfully starts.

>> since most likely they run 'make test' I put that option first. How
>> does that sound?
>

> It'd be better if you could tell what they were running. It might have
> been "./Build test" (and will be more and more, as soon as
> Apache::TestMB is done).

If you they did:

% make test

but you'd suggest to run:

% ./Build test

not only it'll confuse the user, who aren't aware of Build or t/TEST (in caes
of Makemaker) existance, but it also won't do what you wanted the user to do.
For example 'make test' in mp2 runs several tests suites and also ensures to
print a bug report banner. t/TEST will run only one test suite and won't print
the banner (unless the flag -bugreport flag will be passed).