httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: A-T: making the debug tracing functionality usable in production?
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:12:08 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>>probably not.  see Log::Log4perl and Log::Dispatch for existing
>>>frameworks
>>>so you don't have to reinvent the wheel :)
>>

>>Not so much about reinventing the wheel, but about not creating unneeded
>>dependencies.
>

> the whole dependency issue is more of a religious debate.  personally, I
> tend to see "no dependencies" it as silly.  dependencies are what CPAN is
> all about - I see no need to add (and more importantly, maintain) modules in
> the core distribution that do practically the same thing as other actively
> maintained CPAN modules just because you don't want to require installation
> of additional 3rd party modules when using your own 3rd party ones.

I fail to see what this has to do with "religion". If my modules are
independant they work out of box. Creating dependancies potentially creates
obstacles for my users. .e.g. if the module my module depends on suddenly breaks.

Besides that, I have no problem with dependencies.

>>Or may be it belongs to Apache::Log. or if you don't want to pollute
>>Apache namespace, ModPerl::Log, which we should probably move warn and
>>other calls to anyway, since they aren't a part of Apache API. I like
>>the idea.
>

> We already have all kinds of logging stuff in Apache::Log that's Apache API
> specific, so definitely not there.

s/is/is not/?

> but please reconsider adding modules to core that duplicate (or even come
> close to duplicating) available CPAN modules.

I don't have any code, I was just pinging whether there is an interest. Thanks
for the followup, Geoff.