httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: A-T: making the debug tracing functionality usable in production?
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:02:34 GMT

>> probably not.  see Log::Log4perl and Log::Dispatch for existing
>> frameworks
>> so you don't have to reinvent the wheel :)
>

> Not so much about reinventing the wheel, but about not creating unneeded
> dependencies.

the whole dependency issue is more of a religious debate.  personally, I
tend to see "no dependencies" it as silly.  dependencies are what CPAN is
all about - I see no need to add (and more importantly, maintain) modules in
the core distribution that do practically the same thing as other actively
maintained CPAN modules just because you don't want to require installation
of additional 3rd party modules when using your own 3rd party ones.

> Or may be it belongs to Apache::Log. or if you don't want to pollute
> Apache namespace, ModPerl::Log, which we should probably move warn and
> other calls to anyway, since they aren't a part of Apache API. I like
> the idea.

We already have all kinds of logging stuff in Apache::Log that's Apache API
specific, so definitely not there.

but please reconsider adding modules to core that duplicate (or even come
close to duplicating) available CPAN modules.

--Geoff