httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: A-T: making the debug tracing functionality usable in production?
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 00:06:02 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>I'm getting used to use:
>>
>> debug "foo", \@bar
>>
>>when writing my code and I want to continue using it in my real modules.
>>The problem with Apache::TestTrace that even though you can control the
>>tracing level, they aren't compile time checks. Meaning that it's going
>>to be costly to keep trace calls in the production code.
>>
>>What I was thinking is to introduce a subclass of Apache::TestTrace,
>>which will operate exactly the same as its parent. But it won't be
>>possible to change the trace level post-compile time, which will allow
>>to optimize away calls like 'debug' if the level is not right.
>>
>>Or do you think this functionality doesn't belong to the Apache::Test
>>framework?
>

> probably not.  see Log::Log4perl and Log::Dispatch for existing frameworks
> so you don't have to reinvent the wheel :)

Not so much about reinventing the wheel, but about not creating unneeded
dependencies.

Or may be it belongs to Apache::Log. or if you don't want to pollute Apache
namespace, ModPerl::Log, which we should probably move warn and other calls to
anyway, since they aren't a part of Apache API. I like the idea.