httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: running singleton tests, and individual descriptions
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:18:25 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:

>> 1. the inability to run a *single* test within a script.
>
> This is possible if the test script is written to use sok:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Running_only_Selected_Sub_tests

aha.  thanks.  what odds of this ever getting back into the cpan test::
modules?  (and our other enhancements..)

>> 2. the lack of per-test descriptive text.
>
>> (you *can* run single scripts, as with 't/TEST t/modules/access.t',
>> but that doesn't appear to be well documented [if at all].)
>
> It's documented pretty clearly in the documentation :)
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Individual_Testing

but not in 't/TEST -help' where it most definitely belongs.  i'm not
in the habit of wandering off to a web page for docco when i've
got the package installed.  but point taken.

>> the second one, however, is a significant pain in the arse, and
>> there ought to be a solution (says i).  as i mentioned before,
>> i'm wrapping the suite up so a testing group can run it in a
>> push-button fashion.
>
> Could you just have them always run the test suite using -verbose?

oh, come on. :-)  have you *looked* at the verbose output?  a lot
of it is *not* one-line descriptions.  and i suspect these people
couldn't care less about anything except failures.  not even if you
used a cattle prod.

maybe it's wishful thinking, but i'd like to see if it's possible to
make the system more usable rather than working around its warts.  of
course, if it already is usable and i'm just missing stuff -- as you've
already most excellently educated me -- that's even better.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"