httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject buferring STDERR breaks the install logic
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:10:14 GMT
Apache::Test's "make test" can't be run as root if it gets unpacked somewhere
under /root/, since Apache needs to run as 'nobody' which can't read/write
files under /root/. Apache::Test's build nicely detects that situation and
lets users to opt out from running 'make test'

When running a normal 'make test' you get:

   [  error] You are running the test suite under user 'root'.
   Apache cannot spawn child processes as 'root', therefore
   we attempt to run the test suite with user 'nobody' (65534:65534).
   The problem is that the path (including all parent directories):
   [... more explanations ...]

Followed by the prompt:

   Skip the test suite? [No]

When running under CPAN.pm there are no problems. But when running under
CPANPLUS, STDERR is buffered and the logic flow is broken. First the user gets
the prompt:

   CPAN Terminal> i Apache::Test
   Skip the test suite? [No]

Then it gets the error:

   [warning] result:
   [  error] You are running the test suite under user 'root'.
   Apache cannot spawn child processes as 'root', therefore
   we attempt to run the test suite with user 'nobody' (65534:65534).
   The problem is that the path (including all parent directories):

of course, the user can't make the right decision and reports us an error,
which is not a module's problem. CPANPLUS is broken in that respect.