httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: Apache::TestTrace: changing non-coloured tracing prefices
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:37:14 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> I find that users get confused about the various tracing codes used by
> A-T, since it's not necessarily clear what all these '&&&', '***', '!!!'
> prefices mean and how to tell which ones are crucial errors and which
> ones aren't. So I suggest to just print the level ala Apache log
> messages, e.g.:
>
> % APACHE_TEST_COLOR=0 t/TEST -trace=debug
> [warning] setting ulimit to allow core files
> ulimit -c unlimited;
> /home/stas/perl/5.8.1-ithread-nouseshrplib/bin/perl5.8.1 t/TEST
> -trace=debug
> [  debug] isolated httpd_info VERSION = Apache/2.0.49-dev
> [...]
> [  debug] generating conf/httpd.conf
> [  debug] generating conf/apache_test_config.pm
> [  debug] saving config data to apache_test_config.pm
> [  error] port 8529 is in use, cannot determine server pid to shutdown
>
> not sure whether to align to the left, right or do any alignment at all
> ('warning' is a 7 chars, info is only 4.)

I don't think they need to be aligned.  other than that, +1

> I'd like keeping the colored output (that you get with
> APACHE_TEST_COLOR=1) as it is now, since it's very convenient for us (at
> least for me ;), who use the tracing all the time and know to tell the
> level by the colour. Adding [foo] token prefices will just add to the
> clutter, IMHO.

are you suggesting to remove all prefixes and use only colors?  I absolutely
can't stand colored terminals (of course - seems we disagree on _everything_
now :)

it might make sense to remove the prefixes if you have colors enabled
(might, but probably not - users are supposed to know somehow that red is
"more severe" than blue?) but I don't think they can be removed altogether.

--Geoff