httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [patch] graceful exit from 'make test'
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:11:26 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> The following patch, allows a graceful exit from 'make test' (so that
> CPAN.pm and other clients can continue w/ installation) if users fail to
> provide the path to httpd or running under root and we figure out that
> apache can't access the files w/ nobody (or some other user).
>
> It prompts a user whether to continue, w/o completing 'make test',
> warning about possible implications. Should the user change his mind and
> continue, he will be returned to the point he has left at.
>
> In the future we may consider a timeout as well (but I'm not sure if
> it's a good idea), instead we may add an env var which will optionally
> skip the test suite if something is not working.
>
> Let me know if you like it. I'm sure most users will like it. And some
> developers may hate it ;)

but what's the point of having tests if the user installs without running them?

just kidding :)

well, you already know that I think a test suite that can't run is not the
same as failing tests, so anything you want to do that gets us closer to
that idea is fine with me.

and I think a timeout is a good idea - I'm always cursing when automated
scripts get hung up on prompts in the middle of the night, even if there are
ways of avoiding the prompt (like setting up environment variables).

--Geoff