httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From William McKee <will...@knowmad.com>
Subject Response Handlers (was Re: Perl test framework, TestConfig, and debugging A::T)
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:15:39 GMT
On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:30:45PM -0500, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> basically, there are two ways to approach Apache-Test: do it all yourself or
> let Apache-Test add some highly magical stuff.  the article I wrote takes
> the first route - it assumes that you already know how to edit an httpd.conf
> and are somewhat familiar with Test.pm or Test::More.  the testing tutorial
> shows you other parts of Apache-Test, such as letting it autogenerate tests
> and configurations.

Thanks to Stas' tireless efforts to educate me as well as your articles
and sample, I think that I've about got my confusion cleared up (part of
which was due to a valid bug).

There's one last piece that I'm still unclear on which your article did
not mention--reponse handlers. Is this where the two paths diverge? I'm
not sure that I see much difference between the way you do it and the
highly magical stuff.

> personally, I find my approach much more managable for first time users, but
> YMMV.

My mileage starting improving once I began to use your bug reporting
skeleton. Starting with a working skeleton that implements correct
practices is no doubt the best way to get started with this testing
environment. Your article makes mention that this framework is easy--it
is if you know how all the pieces work together (and there are several
pieces).

Cheers!
William

--