httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From William McKee <will...@knowmad.com>
Subject Re: Perl test framework, TestConfig, and debugging A::T
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:17:30 GMT
On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:01:15PM -0500, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> you can use have_lwp() to check for LWP support.  have_module() is handy too.

Thanks.

> > OK. FYI, I didn't see anything about this in the docs. I looked at the
> > t/ dir in Apache::Test and only see request.t and ping.t. The
> > extra.conf.in was basically empty. Which other test suites did you have
> > in mind?
>
> the mod_perl test suite, as well as a number of CPAN modules.  take a peek
> at the Apache modules under

I just grabbed the mod_perl distribution and took a look in there. I'm
not grokking how these tests work and cannot run them because I don't
have an Apache2 server installed. I'll try some of the modules in your
directory.

> > So in my case the TEST script that runs my tests is acting as the
> > client? I'm not seeing how creating a response handler is going to make
> > this work. Is the response handler setup in the extra.conf.in or with a
> > test?
>
> see
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Developing_Response_and_Request_Parts_of_a_Test

Thanks. I overlooked that the first time and am now getting
documentation blindness. It seems that the section may be missing a
configuration for the extra.conf.in. How is the /TestApache__cool
uri getting defined?

> I've only been following this thread half-heartedly, but a number of the
> questions you raise make me wonder if you've really read the available
> documentation for Apache-Test.

Honestly, I am trying my best. The problems I am encountering are
changing perspective from a cgi to a mod_perl framework which thus
entails learning lots more about the Apache server than I've ever known
before. My apologies if you think these questions are inane or
off-topic. As you know, network programming can be a very complex beast,
esp when you don't have a very complete understanding of all the pieces
involved.

The documentation that you pointed me to is starting to make sense. I
had thought that putting the following into my extra.conf.in would
handle the dynamic responses without the need for further code:

    <Location /TestApache__write>
        SetHandler modperl
        PerlResponseHandler TestApache::write
    </Location>

I'm still perplexed at the moment as to why it does not. Hopefully
further study of the documentation and the other suggestions you made
will help to clear up my confusion.

> I wrote a rather simple article that tries to introduce it
>
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/05/22/testing.html

It's next on my list of reading.

> which has links to other documentation at the end.  the example given in the
> article covers both mp1 and mp2, and has links to sample tarballs, which you
> might try using as a fresh starting point for your work.

That would be helpful as it seems my test package is in dire straits.

Many thanks,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.