httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From William McKee <will...@knowmad.com>
Subject Re: Perl test framework, TestConfig, and debugging A::T
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:03:00 GMT
On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:24:41PM -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> I don't have apache 1.3 with ssl so I can't test it. And it doesn't quite
> work with apache/mp 2.0 because you have hardcoded mp1 API. Please see the
> porting doc: http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/porting.html
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/porting.html#Making_Code_Conditional_on_Running_mod_perl_Version

Oops. Nice info in the links.

> Also you may want to adopt the convention we use for other test suites,
> where the response part of the test resides under t/response. So you
> usually don't test the module as is, but you create a response handler that
> tests it. But it doesn't have to be that way of course.

OK. FYI, I didn't see anything about this in the docs. I looked at the
t/ dir in Apache::Test and only see request.t and ping.t. The
extra.conf.in was basically empty. Which other test suites did you have
in mind?

> Now to your issues:
>
> >  - APACHE_TEST_LIVE_DEV=1 environment
> > I have written a test in 02_livedev.t which tests this setting and
> > checks that the first directory in @INC does not contain 'blib'. This
> > probably isn't a safe test for distribution due to the possibility of
> > blib being in someone's path. However, I think it is sufficient for
> > debugging purposes. This test fails on my system.
>
> this is because you are testing in the "wrong" place. APACHE_TEST_LIVE_DEV
> affects the server, not the client. It adds 'lib' in modperl_inc.pl which
> affects the server. You need to write a response part of the test like we
> do in all other test suites and test it there.

So in my case the TEST script that runs my tests is acting as the
client? I'm not seeing how creating a response handler is going to make
this work. Is the response handler setup in the extra.conf.in or with a
test?

> Yes, I saw that. I think it's a bad idea, since it'll reconfigure the
> server every time you run the tests. Usually developers write scripts to
> test things, so they can explicitly add -port select if they want to. At
> least that's what I do with my tests.

OK, just thought I'd see if there were a way to automate things a bit.
What do you mean by the server is reconfigured every time? If I'm
starting the server on each test, it seems like that would happen
whether I specified -port select or not.

Thanks,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.