httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: status of the perl-framework
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 01:11:33 GMT

>>we can capture the 2.0/2.1 differences with have_min_apache_version() or
>>similar logic, so no worries there either.
>

> NOOOO!  While we appreciate your efforts to have the *tests* run properly,
> please do *NOT* mask legitimate failures in your efforts to have 'clean'
> output from the framework.  As the tests grow, we discover that some of
> our long standing expectations aren't met - and that both 1.3 and 2.0 may
> exhibit issues.  Don't mask those issues - they need to be called out.

indeed.  it was never my intention to just "fix" things so that the tests
pass.

with test suites there is always the question of whether the tests or the
code is wrong.  right now some tests are failing, and it's been a while
since I've seen activity from the people who wrote them.  so, what I was
offering to do was take the time to analyze each of the failures, track them
down in the code, see where the discrepancy is, write patches and enter bug
reports if the test expectation is reasonable but the code is not, etc.

> So do fix the *tests* - do not *fix* the tests :)

that's the idea :)

I'm sure we're all on the same page - virtual discourse can sometimes get in
the way.  I'm a big fan of test-based development, so I'll try and do the
right thing :)

--Geoff