httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: Dangerous Flood memory model compromises larger runs
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:09:12 GMT
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Norman Tuttle wrote:

> around without generating any data, and (3) that the data (timings, in
> particular) itself seems to be suspect when we are in the process of
> "hitting the rail". I was wondering whether (1) other people have seen
> this issue with this or other applications using apr pools, and (2)
> whether there is any "quick" fix that people can see to remedy this
> problem. I understand that there is still work to be done to Flood to

APR pools allocate but do not automatically deallocate.  They hang onto
the memory they have and reuse it later if possible.  If you want to set a
limit on the amount the pools' underlying allocator will hang onto, use
apr_allocator_create(), call apr_allocator_set_max_free() or whatever it's
called, and then use apr_pool_create_ex() to create the pool with that
"limited" allocator.

Have a look at the prefork or worker MPMs from httpd for an example.

--Cliff