httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: A::T blib vs lib
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:10:13 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>> That leads to different version of Apache:PageKit in the lib and
>> blib/lib directories. With the current version of Apache::Test the
>> version in lib is tested. But 'make install' installs the version from
>> blib/lib. And depending from your perl they are different.
>

> so you want Apache-Test to test _only_ the version in blib and _never_
> the version in lib, right?
>
> this kinda confirms my suspicion that stas
>
>     % env APACHE_TEST_LIVE_DEV=1 t/TEST -conf
>
> patch does exactly the opposite of what you wanted.

No, my patch does the right thing. It does not add 'lib' by default. It adds
it only if APACHE_TEST_LIVE_DEV=1 is there.

>> I reported that to Stas and he explaind that the lib path is hardcoded
>> to make development easier.
>

> for the record, I need to re-iterate how much I dislike that idea in the
> first place :)

For the record, it's that idea is now optional, so unfortunately you there is
not much left to dislike ;)

>> As a solution he suggest a ENV var that when set prefer the lib dir
>> for development.
>

> so, what I gather is that what APACHE_TEST_LIVE_DEV=1 ought to do is not
> add lib to @INC, but rather ensure that lib is not used at all, thus
> forcing the tests to use blib (as is the standard practice everywhere I
> know about except Apache-Test).  does that sound right?

Forget the APACHE_TEST_LIVE_DEV=1 option. I added it for myself and others who
want to develop against 'lib'. By default you don't need to do anything and
you never get 'lib' autoinserted for you.