httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: using TestRunPerl without mod_perl.c
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:40:13 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> hi again :)
>
> well, after giving this issue some (probably way too much) thought over
> the weekend, I have decided that unless there is a -1 floating around,
> I'm going to go ahead with the change as I initially suggested it.
>
> the main reason for my going ahead is something I realized after our
> last exchange.  for the majority of TestRunPerl users (probably every
> single one, in fact) the change will have no effect on the behavior of
> Apache-Test: mod_perl specific directives in extra.conf.in will still
> make the server fail to start and the tests fail to run.  so, what the
> changes will do it maintain existing behavior while giving users more
> flexibility than they currently have.
>
> at any rate, as I said, I'll commit later this afternoon unless there is
> a (very) good reason not to.  I'll be happy to revert it later if, after
> actually using it, people don't like it and complain.  if I have time in
> the near future, I'll even try to clean it up a bit (like removing
> PerlRequire from TestRun and sticking all of them in a single IfModule).

Well, I thought we agreed that the current behavior is not user-friendly, as
the test suite fails to start, rather than indicating to user that something
is wrong, before starting it. So you suggest to preserve this buggy behavior,
as an excuse for doing other things.

If you go ahead and do this change we will need to provide a way for users to
require mod_perl's availability before the suite starts. As suggested before
this could be done via a simple option to new and/or wrapped into a new
subclass. However IMHO, that needs to be a default behavior and having
mod_perl optional should be a configurable option/subclass, because the
majority of packages will not want it optional. So go ahead and do the change,
but please give this point a good thought before committing to it (releasing a
new version).