httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [cpan #3861] Custom t/conf/httpd.conf.in is ignored
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 22:09:17 GMT
Guest via RT wrote:
> This message about Apache-Test was sent to you by guest <> via rt.cpan.org
>
> Full context and any attached attachments can be found at:
>
> [stas+old@stason.org - Wed Oct  1 19:28:43 2003]:
>
>>They are inherited from your httpd.conf installed system-wide. You
>>probably have a stale one. Once you remove it it won't inherit them
>>any longer.
>

> Yep, found and removed. Because I installed Apache as a package then
> reinstalled manually to /usr/local, I had the original conf file in
> /etc/apache/httpd.conf.

It proves again and again that guessing is evil :(

> With that file removed, I tried again and did not get all the LoadModule
> lines into my generated httpd.conf. However, I did continue to get the
> following lines:
>   User nobody
>   Group nobody
>
> I run my webserver as user www and don't know where these were being
> pulled from. I grepped the files in Apache::Test and didn't come across
> it either. However, I discovered that I could override the values as
> follows:
>
>   t/TEST -httpd /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -User www -Group www

The logic comes from: Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm

If the server is run as non-root, it uses that user's uid/gid to configure. If
run as root it tries 'nobody'. We could add 'www' as well, but someone may
have both available, and others will have some other names. So again to avoid
wrong guessing, probably the right solution is to inherit from the global
httpd.conf, just like it inherits the LoadModule directives. Can you please
try to fix that and send a patch?