httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: using TestRunPerl without mod_perl.c
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:33:46 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> hi all...
>
> I just discovered that if you use TestRunPerl to configure a third-party
> module, and the installer points -apxs to an apache without mod_perl,
> the test suite blows up due to mod_perl specific configuration
> directives in httpd.conf.

why would you use TestRunPerl to test against not-modperl enabled Apache? If
by accident I think it is better to discover that and die before even starting
to run tests.

> the end result is that, within the tests, have_module('foo.c') works for
> every module _except_ mod_perl, since if mod_perl isn't installed the
> test suit never gets started.

Again, it should be solved at a much earlier stage, rather than waiting for
the server to start. It should alert the user during the config stage and die
right there.

> anyway, I think it's a good practice to <IfModule> non-core directives,
> and it looks like that is being done most of the time (Alias seems to be
> the exception).  the attached patch does that for mod_perl stuff.

Not quite so, TestRunPerl already assumes that mod_perl is available. Adding
noise to httpd.conf doesn't make things better. Besides if you could do:

<IfModule mod_perl.c>
   all mp configs
</IfModule>

and not ifmodule for each directive that would be better I guess.