httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [RFC] running tests after the server stops
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:05:36 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>> The only issue is with Test::Harness, we will need to somehow feed
>> tests to it so it'll take them all as one bunch, while we have to run
>> first t/pre-start/ test, followed by normal tests, followed by
>> t/post-stop/ tests.
>

> oh, I see the issue now.
>
> if we call TestRun::run_tests multiple times, each set of tests is sent
> to Test::Harness as a batch.  so, calling it pre and post run results in
> three sets of reports.
>
> I have the start of an implementation now (working via t/TEST) but am
> hesitant to work on it more unless we think that three reports is ok for
> this feature.  there will also have to be some trickery involved - if
> one set returns failure the remaining sets don't run - but I'm not sure
> where to put it.

It's actually good, it'd be bad if it'd continue running and users seeing
success report from the last batch and missing failures from previous reports.

e.g. in modperl-2.0, we already have two separate reports, the core and the
registry, and registry tests won't run if the core test suite fails.

> at any rate, the remaining issues are probably trivial if we can accept
> a change in output.  if not, I'm not sure how this would work.

OK, here is an idea how to solve it. instead of starting and stopping the
server by t/TEST delegate it to a specially designed tests. So the last test
in t/pre-start/ will start the server and the first test in t/post-stop/ will
stop the server. Both can be autogenerated. Of course this will mess up with
the ability to run a single test with t/TEST, but we can instruct t/TEST to
start the server if it doesn't see t/pre-start/ in the list of tests, and stop
it if it doesn't see t/post-stop/ in the list of tests.