httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <>
Subject Re: new in Apache::Test: t/SMOKE -bug_mode
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:14:16 GMT
Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>>It all started when I have noticed a few core files after running t/SMOKE on
>>modperl-2.0's top-level test suite. I couldn't figure out which test caused
>>them. So I have decided to rewrite the smoker to provide me that information.
>>In the future we might autoextract the backtrace as well.
> Neat. (autoextracting the backtrace automatically is easily done with gdb -x
> where available.)

I didn't know about this option. It doesn't seem to exist on gdb/linux (I have
the very latest one 5.3-22mdk).

There is also a very old Devel::CoreStack, which doesn't quite work if the gdb
takes more than one TTY screen to get to the trace. I couldn't figure out how
to circumvent the 'next page' prompt. Instead I wrote (Debug::FaultAutoBT), which
traps segfaults and gets the backtrace without needed a core file. However it
requires more work as it doesn't always work. It's modeled after the KDE
bug-report utility, which pops a bug report window when some KDE-app crashes
and shows you the backtrace immediately.

>>This should make bug reports much more useful. However it comes at a price of
>>running much slower than the normal 'make test' would do, until
>>Test::Harness::Straps won't provide the callbacks to be run after each test,
> Just in case you don't know this already, the latest Test::Harness
> contains an experimental -- and undocumented -- form of callbacks.
> If you could post something to perl-qa to explain in a
> few sentences what you need, I'd be happy to help crafting
> something. And to reuse it for perl :)

That's exactly why I have mentioned Test::Harness::Straps, I have submitted a
request for the callback feature, and that's when Andy Lester has mentioned
the experimental feature in Test::Harness::Straps. All needed is the ability
to install a hook to be run after each test is finished (and purhaps before
it). Then one can add various useful procedures to happen between each test
(e.g. core file finder).

Stas Bekman            JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker     mod_perl Guide --->

View raw message