httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: new in Apache::Test: t/SMOKE -bug_mode
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:14:16 GMT
Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>It all started when I have noticed a few core files after running t/SMOKE on
>>modperl-2.0's top-level test suite. I couldn't figure out which test caused
>>them. So I have decided to rewrite the smoker to provide me that information.
>>In the future we might autoextract the backtrace as well.
>

> Neat. (autoextracting the backtrace automatically is easily done with gdb -x
> where available.)

I didn't know about this option. It doesn't seem to exist on gdb/linux (I have
the very latest one 5.3-22mdk).

There is also a very old Devel::CoreStack, which doesn't quite work if the gdb
takes more than one TTY screen to get to the trace. I couldn't figure out how
to circumvent the 'next page' prompt. Instead I wrote (Debug::FaultAutoBT)
http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Debug%3A%3AFaultAutoBT&mode=module, which
traps segfaults and gets the backtrace without needed a core file. However it
requires more work as it doesn't always work. It's modeled after the KDE
bug-report utility, which pops a bug report window when some KDE-app crashes
and shows you the backtrace immediately.

>>This should make bug reports much more useful. However it comes at a price of
>>running much slower than the normal 'make test' would do, until
>>Test::Harness::Straps won't provide the callbacks to be run after each test,
>
> Just in case you don't know this already, the latest Test::Harness
> contains an experimental -- and undocumented -- form of callbacks.
 >
> If you could post something to perl-qa to explain in a
> few sentences what you need, I'd be happy to help crafting
> something. And to reuse it for perl :)

That's exactly why I have mentioned Test::Harness::Straps, I have submitted a
request for the callback feature, and that's when Andy Lester has mentioned
the experimental feature in Test::Harness::Straps. All needed is the ability
to install a hook to be run after each test is finished (and purhaps before
it). Then one can add various useful procedures to happen between each test
(e.g. core file finder).