httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: need help to add per-user config to Apache::Test
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:58:01 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:

>>>That'd be nice - a version that does this appears below.
>>>I named it win32_long_path - it'll just return what was
>>>passed into it if not on Win32.
>>
>>But my idea was to eliminate any os-specific words win32. I think it should
>>just be long_path... Think of it as File::Spec function.
>

> OK, I'll do that. I put in the win32_ to indicate that it'll
> do something for Win32, and otherwise just return what was
> passed in.
>

>>I'm still not quite happy about the naming of the function, what exactly
>>GetLongPathName($file) does?
>>can this be done using some File::Spec function?
>

> I haven't found an equivalent one in File::Spec ... The
> problem here is that cwd (or any file/directory name) on
> Win32 has two representations - a long path name (that can
> include spaces) and a short path name, limited to 6
> characters (this is a holdout from early days), plus 3 if an
> extension is present.  Here we want to match cwd to
> /Apache-Test/, but cwd may return the short path name (eg,
> Apache~1.0), depending on if, for example, you have
> different Apache-Test* directories at the same level. So
> GetLongPathName can be used to get the full long path name.
>
> The thing with naming it, eg, just long_path, is that
> Unix users (the majority) wouldn't know what it does.

Thanks Randy. Call it 'expand_path' and add the above explanation to that
function? for unix it won't do anything, since there is nothing to expand, but
for win32 it will expand the shrinkwrapped name.

>>>+        if (-e $candidate) {
>>>+            $sys_config = $candidate;
>>>+            last;
>>>+        }
>>>+    }
>>>+    if ($sys_config) {
>>>+        eval {require $sys_config};
>>>+        return $sys_config if (not $@ and IN_APACHE_TEST);
>>>+        $sys_config = undef if $@;
>>>+    }
>>
>>Hmm, I thought we agreed that eval {require $sys_config} will always succeed,
>>since that file is always available. so this code should be needed:
>>
>>+ die 'Could not find a suitable Apache::TestConfigData'
>>+    unless defined CONFIG_DATA;
>

> I was thinking here if someone, after installation, had
> mis-edited Apache::TestConfigData, either the system one or
> one found in some path in @INC being added thru, eg, use
> lib). But this might be overkill - not worrying about this
> at this time will simplify things here.

Yup, just die then...

> I was also thinking about the problem of $ENV{HOME} not
> being available in mod_perl. As Apache::TestConfigData is
> being loaded in order to configure things, shouldn't
> this not be a problem, because at this point one isn't
> yet in a mod_perl environment?

It can be used at run time just as well, I think we do that in several places
in the test suite. However for now we can cheat, by documenting:

   add:

     PerlPassEnv HOME

   to httpd.conf if you want to read ~/.apache-test/ config from within a
running mod_perl server. Another possible alternative is to use: getpwent() to
ask the os for the home dir instead of relying on $ENV{HOME}. Does this work
under win32?