httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Boris Zentner <bo...@ambient-entertainment.de>
Subject Re: Apache::Test
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:46:01 GMT

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 16. September 2003 09:38 schrieb Stas Bekman:
> Boris Zentner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Freitag, 12. September 2003 20:04 schrieb Stas Bekman:
> >>[redirecting it to the httpd-test dev list where this discussion belongs]

> >>The idea is to allow developers to test against the live files under lib,
> >>to make it possible to develop while running the test suite. I use this
> >>feature all the time in combination with Apache::Reload. You are right
> >> that we want to test against the blib when users run 'make test'.
> >> Purhaps we should make it configurable, so it's not hardwired? e.g. we
> >> could have an environment variable APACHE_TEST_DEV_MODE which when set
> >> will add the non-blib dirs to @INC.
> >
> > I'm happy with the ENV idea; but i fail to see, why a lib after the blib
> > spoil your work with Apache::Reload since under normal development, there
> > is no blib directory.
>
> what do you mean normal development? Once you run 'make' you get 'blib'. I
> develop now inside the source distro and test on the place. Apache::Test
> rules.

I was under the impression of the commet directly over the fix that the 'lib'
was the lib inside mod_perl ( or that was the desired lib, sure I noticed
that the real world and the comment do not match ).

So my conclusion was that you work inside the perl/lib or mod_perl/lib and not
inside your project directory.

> > If possible I prefer a automatic solution.
>
> what do you mean? AI ;)

That whould be fine with me too ;-) But now that I understand your prefered
development strategy. I agree that the the best solution is the ENV var.

> >>The pointer to that document is at the very beginning of
> >>Apache-Test/README, it's hard to miss it.
> >
> > Ok, I missed that. But my biggest concern is that I love perldoc so I
> > whould like to see the the pointer to
> > http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html at the end of
> > the Apache::Test pod. So the important hint is also avail after the
> > installation. And the examples from the README could have a better place
> > in the Apache::Test pod.
>
> Sure, this is easy to fix. Done.
>
> > Even better if I could type 'perldoc Apache::Test::Howto'.
>
> I thought about this and yes we can do the same thing we do with mp1 and
> mp2 docs. We should probably create modperl-docs/src/docs/any/api/ and put
> there manpages of projects that work the same with any mp generation.
> Apache::Test could go there. However since we next want to check them out
> into the Apache-Test distro, we will need to put them under one root:
>
> modperl-docs/src/docs/any/api/Apache-Test/
>
> next we can move modperl-docs/src/docs/general/testing/testing.pod to be:
>
> modperl-docs/src/docs/any/api/Apache-Test/Apache/TestTutorial.pod
>
> and the rest of the doccos will go as:
>
> modperl-docs/src/docs/any/api/Apache-Test/Apache/Test.pod
> modperl-docs/src/docs/any/api/Apache-Test/Apache/TestRequest.pod
> etc...
>
> next these will be checked out into
> httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/docs and distributed with
> Apache::Test.
>
> I don't know when I'll get to do this though, unless someone beats me to
> it, may be in a few weeks.
>
> p.s. modperl-docs is the documentation cvs repository

That would be so cool! I can not agree more. Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Boris