httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Boris Zentner <bo...@ambient-entertainment.de>
Subject Re: Apache::Test
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 06:32:37 GMT

Hi,

Am Freitag, 12. September 2003 20:04 schrieb Stas Bekman:
> [redirecting it to the httpd-test dev list where this discussion belongs]
>
> Boris Zentner wrote:
> > Hi Stas,
> >
> > I spend the morning on porting Apache::PageKit to Apache::Test and make
> > the installation of this large module easy. My idea to support perl < 5.8
> > and >= 5.8 was to use patch inside the makefile and make the changes to
> > my files after they are copied to the blib directory. So the original
> > files are avail everytime. Im not really sure if this is a good way, but
> > it stopped working on the 'make test' part since on some configurations
> > the content of Apache-PageKit/lib is not the same as Apache-PageKit/blib
> > but Apache::Test use Apache-PageKit/lib instead Apache-PageKit/blib. I
> > think this is wrong since if all goes well I install the content of
> > Apache-PageKit/blib and this is not what I tested.
> >
> > I attach a patch that fix it for me. The above comment seems also
> > misleading.
>
> The idea is to allow developers to test against the live files under lib,
> to make it possible to develop while running the test suite. I use this
> feature all the time in combination with Apache::Reload. You are right that
> we want to test against the blib when users run 'make test'. Purhaps we
> should make it configurable, so it's not hardwired? e.g. we could have an
> environment variable APACHE_TEST_DEV_MODE which when set will add the
> non-blib dirs to @INC.

I'm happy with the ENV idea; but i fail to see, why a lib after the blib spoil
your work with Apache::Reload since under normal development, there is no
blib directory.

If possible I prefer a automatic solution.

> > BTW: Apache::Test is very powerfull. I had a lot of ideas that I can test
> > now. Very easy. Thanks a lot.
>
> Thanks ;)
>
> > But you should add this pod
> > 'Running and Developing Tests with the Apache::Test Framework'
> > with Apache::Test. If I had not found that document, I never used
> > Apache::Test. And it is soooo usefull. Please consider to put it in.
>
> The pointer to that document is at the very beginning of
> Apache-Test/README, it's hard to miss it.

Ok, I missed that. But my biggest concern is that I love perldoc so I whould
like to see the the pointer to
http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html at the end of the
Apache::Test pod. So the important hint is also avail after the installation.
And the examples from the README could have a better place in the
Apache::Test pod.

Even better if I could type 'perldoc Apache::Test::Howto'.

--
Boris