httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Prucia <j.pru...@defbank.com.pl>
Subject Re: flood: config file version
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:14:39 GMT
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:21:20 -0700
Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@apache.org> wrote:

> --On Sunday, August 10, 2003 23:06:23 +0200 Jacek Prucia
> <jacek.prucia@acn.waw.pl> wrote:
>
> > This is what I have mentioned earlier this day. This introduces a
> > CONFIG_VERSION define, which is used to represent a certain config
> > file format. Every time we change config fle format (adding
> > features, moving things around), we bump this number. This makes
> > easy to determine, that somebody is using an outdated config file
> > and that it just might not work.
>
> Sounds fine to me.  Only suggestion that I'd make is not to use
> floating point numbers, but rather whole numbers.  Use apr_strtoi64()
> or something on the string value.  I'm not 100% sure that strtof is
> portable enough.  It probably is, but I'm not sure what the floating
> point will buy us anyway.

Simply, the first patch was against FLOOD_VERSION. Then later I though
it might not work very well. People would then just bump config file
number automatically, regardless if the release is just a simple bugfix
or packed with new features.

Whole numbers seems fine. I'll rewrite the patch and introduce few other
minor fixes (for example: attribute schould be called "configversion",
to reduce confusion).

> > +    if (conf_version != flood_version) {
>
> That should be config_version, no?  -- justin

Yep. This is what you get, when you hand edit the diff's right before
posting :)

regards,
Jacek Prucia