httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: apxs on Win32
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:28:47 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:

> +1 on the patch
>
> Randy, whatever you think is the best for win32, please go
> ahead with it.  Untill we get someone else on win32 involved,
> you are pretty much free to decide how to handle things and
> what's the best for the user, as long as the changes don't
> break the code on other platforms. It's really hard to judge
> what's good or less good without seeing the problem. Perhaps
> somebody else can do that. I remember Philippe was trying to
> set win32 env, but he is now in transition from one continent
> to another...
>
> On the other hand, I really dislike the fact that the code gets
> too many conditionals, making it much harder to comprehend. We
> should consider to use subclasses for win32 (or any other
> platform that requires too many special cases). What do you
> think? There is no hurry for now, but we should keep it at the
> backs of our heads (unless of course you think it's a cool idea
> and want to go with it right now ;). The good thing is once
> subclassed, there is very little danger that the code on other
> platforms will go broken.

You're right that there's getting to be too many conditionals
in places, and subclassing would be a better way to go ...
I'll take a look at that, but I'm going on a bit of a break
in a couple of days - what about for now, doing something like
ModPerl::Build does: have, for some sub

sub whatever {
  my $self = shift;
  my $what = \&{"whatever_$^O"};
  $what = \&whatever_default unless defined &$what;
  $what->($self);
}

sub whatever_default {
}

and then, to add something special for MSWin32, simply define a

sub whatever_MSWin32 {
}

which gets used in place of the default. I could redo that
patch in this form easily, if that would be better for now.

--
best regards,
randy