httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [patch] have_apache_mpm()
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:54:50 GMT
At 07:02 PM 7/9/2003, Geoffrey Young wrote:

>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> It seems like the API for ap_mpm_query would be simpler to follow,
>> just extended to run outside-of-apache.
>
>probably, and it would certainly be safer than checking -V output. the issue I see with
this is that thus far Apache-Test is pure perl, so it seems overkill to get into the C API
and XS for just for one small feature.  unless I'm missing something, that is :)

You are :-)  It sounds like httpd -V should grow some ap_mpm_query output
for the user to know what sorts of flags are toggled for that build of httpd?

>OTOH, thanks for bringing ap_mpm_query up.  APR_HAS_THREADS seems to have issues (for
me, anyway) - I was seeing it return true for my prefork install, which I attributed to one
of the autogenerated files not getting properly recreated after a worker build.  anyway, I'm
not that familiar with the buildconf stuff, so I was probably not cleaning up properly between
compiles...

APR_HAS_THREADS only tells you if APR was built to support threading.
I always build my core against the threaded APR so that all of the entry
points for a threaded module are available.  If the module is smart enough to
check ap_mpm_query for threading (as mod_auth_digest and mod_ssl do)
then they can skip all of the interlock calls when running under prefork
(even though they were compiled against a threaded APR.)

That same module can now be loaded under prefork and worker.

Bill

Bill