httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: Apache::Test oustanding issues
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:45:10 GMT
On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 06:33  PM, Randy Kobes wrote:

> Depending on where the source directory is, you may have to open
> up a parent directory normally restricted to root to a non-root
> user, which wouldn't be a good idea, even temporarily.

Right. Grr.

> What about
> just skipping the tests if root is running the tests, and
> printing out an explanatory message why the tests are skipped?

I don't think you can necessarily do this, because not all test need to
have access to t/. My test suite for
MasonX::ApacheHandler::WithCallbacks, for example, doesn't need to have
the Apache user access those files. They're loaded up by the user that
starts apache (root), and then the process forks off to nobody-owned
children that never access the files. So my tests work fine even under
root.

And since many, _many_ users simply install modules via CPAN.pm as
root, you'd be eliminating a huge group of people who can run tests.

I think a better idea is to introduce a test function like "have_lwp",
maybe called "has_access_to_t", that can be used by the module
developer to skip the relevant tests, if necessary.

Regards,

David

http://kineticode.com/                         Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory@jabber.org