httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <>
Subject Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache::Test 1.03-dev
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:27:20 GMT
Rob Bloodgood wrote:
> Tuesday, June 24, 2003, 1:51:51 PM, you wrote:
> JS> Rob Bloodgood <> writes:
> JS> [...]
>>>*** root mode: changing the fs ownership to 'nobody' (99:99)
>>>/usr/sbin/httpd -X -d /root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.03/t -f
> JS> Is the docroot (/root/.cpan/.../t/httpd.conf) inside
> JS> a directory that "nobody" can read from?  Probably
> JS> not, from the looks of it.
> JS> Try moving the Apache-Test-1.03 directory to /tmp and
> JS> see if you have better luck there.
> Good spot!  I changed permissions so 'nobody' could access the .cpan
> dir, and it immediately worked perfectly.  Apache::Test and
> libapreq-1.2 now installed here!

Yup, Philippe has mentioned this to me as well. When run as 'root', we do
change the perms within the current distro dir, but we don't check whether the
parent dirs have the read perms. I will add this check and make the program
fail with an appropriate error if that's the case. e.g.:

The directory /root/foo/Apache-Test-1.03 is not readable by user 'nobody',
either make sure that all the dirs up to /root/foo/Apache-Test-1.03 are
readable by that user, or move the whole tree to some other directory (e.g.
/tmp) or run 'make test' as non-root!

Stas Bekman            JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker     mod_perl Guide --->

View raw message