httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [patch] have_apache_mpm()
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:21:13 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
 > At 07:02 PM 7/9/2003, Geoffrey Young wrote:
 >

 >> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
 >>
 >>> It seems like the API for ap_mpm_query would be simpler to
 >>> follow, just extended to run outside-of-apache.
 >>
 >> probably, and it would certainly be safer than checking -V
 >> output. the issue I see with this is that thus far Apache-Test is
 >> pure perl, so it seems overkill to get into the C API and XS for
 >> just for one small feature.  unless I'm missing something, that
 >> is :)
 >

 > You are :-)  It sounds like httpd -V should grow some ap_mpm_query
 > output for the user to know what sorts of flags are toggled for
 > that build of httpd?

ok, I see - something similar to apxs -q?  that would definitely be
useful.

I'm no vacation for the next two weeks, but when I get back I'll take
a stab at the interface and see what I can do (if nobody beats me to it).

in either case, I still think have_apache_mpm() is a decent API for
Apache-Test, no matter how it's implemented behind the scenes.  does
it make sense to get that in first as I last proposed then change the
implementation later?  I guess the other option is to dump
have_apache_mpm() in favor of a more generic query_apache() (or have
both :)

thanks for the feedback.

 > APR_HAS_THREADS only tells you if APR was built to support
 > threading. I always build my core against the threaded APR so that
 > all of the entry points for a threaded module are available.  If
 > the module is smart enough to check ap_mpm_query for threading (as
 > mod_auth_digest and mod_ssl do) then they can skip all of the
 > interlock calls when running under prefork (even though they were
 > compiled against a threaded APR.)
 >
 > That same module can now be loaded under prefork and worker.

excellent.  thanks again.

--Geoff