httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [patch] have_apache_mpm()
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:02:16 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
 > At 08:28 AM 6/25/2003, Geoffrey Young wrote:
 >
 >> hi all
 >>
 >> I thought it might be useful to have an have_apache_mpm function.
 >> while not particularly useful for individual tests, I use
 >> have_min_apache_version() from my Makefile.PL and plan to use
 >> have_apache_mpm() from there as well.  I suspect it's real
 >> utility, though, would be from a custom TEST.PL.
 >

 > Won't ap_mpm_query() answer any question you could throw it?  Or is
 > this some must-have-in-advance sort of question?

some might want to know before the server is started, skipping all
tests for a module that isn't (yet) threadsafe.  this applies to me,
and would preclude the use of a runtime-only function, even though
there are certainly cases where individual tests in a suite might
require skipping and an ap_ call is ok.

 > It seems like the API for ap_mpm_query would be simpler to follow,
 > just extended to run outside-of-apache.

probably, and it would certainly be safer than checking -V output.
the issue I see with this is that thus far Apache-Test is pure perl,
so it seems overkill to get into the C API and XS for just for one
small feature.  unless I'm missing something, that is :)

OTOH, thanks for bringing ap_mpm_query up.  APR_HAS_THREADS seems to
have issues (for me, anyway) - I was seeing it return true for my
prefork install, which I attributed to one of the autogenerated files
not getting properly recreated after a worker build.  anyway, I'm not
that familiar with the buildconf stuff, so I was probably not cleaning
up properly between compiles...

--Geoff